Monday, February 4, 2013

Gross Anatomy of the Female Reproductive System


Today's Medical Topic:  Gross anatomy is body parts, structures, and landmarks visible to the naked eye without the aid of a microscope.  Today we are looking at the gross anatomy of the female reproductive system.

What Are We Looking For:  The most obvious parts, most of which are directly related to the reproductive system.  We are looking at a photograph of a model of a mid-sagittal section of the pelvis including part of the abdominal cavity.

If you are in my A&P II class this semester it is the same model in the classroom.

(click for big)
A lot of this is sorta self explanatory but there is some stuff missing as well as some bizarrely presented  areas.

The pubic symphysis is also presented as an almost identical blue oval in this model so I did not point it out specifically.

Three layers compose the wall of the uterus.  The inner deppest layer is the endometrium.  The middle layer, composed mostly of smooth muscle, is the myometrium.  The outer most superficial layer is the perimetrium.

The cervix is a structure that includes the external os, the internal os, and the cervical canal.  The area pointed to labeled "cervix" is specifically pointing to the cervical canal.  The os pointed to is the external os.  Fun fact "os" is Latin for "mouth."

I am also assuming that you know that the urethra leads to the bladder.

Well I didn't Identify everything but most of the stuff.  Don't forget to study!




Send questions or comments to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Even as the owner of that equipment, I still don't know what all that stuff is. I should probably read the manual. Obviously I know just enough right now to be dangerous, seeing as I have two children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey it is a lot of stuff. Especially with the Uterus. During pregnancy you get a placenta which is a whole 'nother endocrine organ among many other things.

    Makes me glad I got man parts. There is a reason women tolerate pain better than men.

    ReplyDelete