Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Bell's Palsy


Medical Topic of the day:
Today's Topic:  Bell's palsy.  Nuff' said.  Let's do this.

Off the top of my head:  It has something to do with your trigeminal nerve which has so many many branches.  For those of you that don't know your trigeminal nerve is a real sonofabitch.  So many branches...  Anyways, this particular malady causes half of part or all of your face to become paralyzed.  Let's find out how this occurs.

My research today:  I am wrong.  Bell's palsy is caused by damage or disruption to the 7th cranial nerve and your trigeminal nerve is your 5th cranial nerve.  Your cranium has a lot of nerves.  The 7th cranial nerve controls the following:

  • Raises eyebrows
  • Wrinkles your forehead
  • Closes your eyes
  • Draws your lips together
  • Smiles
The Joker might have Bell's palsy.

Bell's palsy is not uncommon and effects up to 40,000 peeps in the US per year. It does cause a bizarre facial droop sometimes or the inability to close one eye. It is temporary and not the result of a CVA or stroke although that is something most medical providers will rule out in their evaluation.

No one is entirely sure what causes Bell's palsy but many medical scientists think that there is some connection between Bell's palsy and herpes.  Herpes is what causes cold sores, fever blisters, chicken pox, and shingles.

And Paris might have herpes.
Treatment is typically with a steroid like prednisone and sometimes an antiviral like Valtrex or Zovirax to combat any evidence of herpes.  The goal is to reduce swelling in the nerve causing the issue.  Treatment may last several weeks depending on results.

People with facial paralysis for extended periods of time may need physical therapy to prevent their facial muscles from becoming shortened and causing permanent deficits.  In rare cases you can decompress the swollen nerve by drilling into the bony passageway that the 7th cranial nerve passes through.



Enough for tonight.  Have a good one and stay out of trouble.

















Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  Not weighing myself
Activity Today:  On mah bike for 10 miles.  Plus 10K steps cause that's what bosses do.
Diet today:  So many vegetables I can't count them on just one hand.

Comments: Feeling good today.  Got my new office chair which is a balance ball to improve my posture and core strength.  Typing on it right now actually.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Better
Social Engineering Tactics:  Confidence
Comments:  Right now I'm feelin like the man.


Random:
Listening to:  Chingy - You could... roll... wit... me...
Watching:  Nothing today.
Reading:  Didn't read today.....yet.
Something fun:  Mati Hara Absinthe - It is pretty good.


Bell's palsy is named after Sir Charles Bell the surgeon that studied the 7th cranial nerve and its innervation of the facial muscles over 200 years ago.

Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice, it is mealy an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

2 comments:

  1. well i know what caused mine I had a MRi scan which took around 45 minutes and i came out with a nasty headache between the eye's i felt my face was tingling and my head where I had stitches in 1995 in a army truck which crashed was and still playing me up must be the nerves around it, muscle aching more in the shoulders and feeling dizzy with focus ballance, not very nice but glad I don't drink or smoke got my face looks back to normal and hospital done a great job looking after me by doctors and nurses too, and the meals were like the hilton first class food,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to have put 1965 and not 1995 as my numbers affect me too

    ReplyDelete