Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Elephantiasis


Medical Topic of the Day:  I promised you a big one today so here it is.  Elephantiasis.

Off the Top of My Head:  I really don't know much about it.  I think it is some sort of lymphatic disorder that leads to gross swelling.

No, not these.
My Research Today:  Incorrectly referred to as "Elephantitis" which means "inflammation of the elephant", Elephantiasis is actually lymphatic filariasis caused by three different kinds of microscopic roundworms in tropical regions.  The parasite is ingested and carried by mosquitos when feeding on an infected host and spread in a similar fashion.

The disease causes swelling in the extremities and in men causes hydroceles with genital swelling.  The worms excrete and secrete toxins toxins which block lymphatic functions and create a fluid build up which causes the above mentioned gross swelling.

These parasites usually cause some level of histamine release and also cause an allergic-like reaction.  Typical symptoms of early onset include fevers, lymph node swelling, joint pain, fatigue, swelling and abscess of the infected area.  Long term lymphatic filariasis leads to elephantiasis with leg, arm, scrotum, breast, and vulvae swelling.  I know enough talk, you want to see a picture.

I told you it was gross.
Symptoms are more extreme on non-indigenous residents as the native populace of the tropical areas are immunologically tolerant to the parasite. If treated early most people respond well to diethylcarbamazine which is a medication that kills the parasites. Treatments take place over a long period of time and last at least 3 weeks.

That is not a chair.
Unfortunately for people with advanced cases the prognosis is grim.  Some enlarged tissue can be excised or drained but the damage and disfigurment is mostly permanent.  In fact lymphatic filariasis is the leading cause of permanent disability in the world.  Elimination of the disease is one of the CDC's "Winnable Battles".

Well that is enough gross pics for the day, I hope you enjoyed.















Quest To 180:
In the gym for 40 minutes.  Mostly cardio.

The MAN:
I don't even know.

2 comments:

  1. I have a patient who has this...although I don't think it came from a parasite. Maybe. Is it scary that I am learning medical information from my buddy's blog? Yes. Yes it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have given a brief note on Elephantiasis disease . It gives me an awareness in parasites.

    ReplyDelete