Saturday, August 4, 2012

Capsaicin


Today's Medical Topic:  My friend Jon has asked the question: "Why does it burn so bad when I rub hot sauce in my eyes?"  Well, first off , Jon, don't do that.  Second of all I think I can answer your question.

Off the Top of My Head:  Most people know that the spicy irritant in hot peppers, specifically chilis is capsaicin.  It irritates mucus membranes in your mouth and throat giving food the spicy taste you associate with hot peppers.  Hot peppers and sauces are measured in Scoville units which is a scale based on the amount of capsaicin in a pepper.

Capsaicin molecule.  It's all bumpy.


My Research Today:  Capsaicin is the oily active irritant in plants belonging to the genus Capsicum.  Chili peppers are a member of this genus.  Capsaicin is produced as a metabolite in the course of the plant's development and deposits in the "veins" or whitish inside parts of the pepper technically called the pith.  Most likely the plants developed the substance as a deterrent from certain kinds of herbivores and possibly to prevent fungal infections.

All those look like a bad idea.
The capsaicin molecule acts directly on sensory neurons in mucus membranes by binding to viailloid recpetors.  This creates the same sort of neuron signal to your brain that heat does which is why capsaicin feels like it is burning you.  I can get into specific chemical details if you want but I don't think it is important to understand that for this article.

IT BURNS!
Capsaicin does not actually burn you or do direct damage to tissue.  Swelling associated with the chemical is thought to be caused by your body's reaction to the nerve stimulation which can cause inflammation.  This inflammation, however, can lead to tissue damage.

Capsaicin is also used as a topical pain reliever for muscle pain and it the main ingredient in pepper spray where it is called oleoresin capsaicin.  Oleoresin capsaicin is an oil extracted from chili peppers.  Pure capsaicin is irritating as hell especially to lung tissue, eyes, and your throat causing redness, tearing, and extreme pain.

Dick move, bro.  Dick move.
Typically, since capsaicin is oily you don't really want to use water to get it off because it just spreads the oil around.  To counteract eating something spicy try eating bread to soak up the oil or drinking milk.  The fat in the milk will bind to the oil and carry it away.  For skin exposure you can actually rub your skin with vegetable oil and wipe it off with a towel.  Unfortunately for your eyes, water is still the best solution.

Currently the hottest pepper in the world is the Naga Jolokia or the Ghost Chili.  IT is rated at over one million Scoville units.  The secret to the Naga Jolokia is that capsaicin deposits throughout the pepper instead of just in the pith.

It burns coming and going.
Well, I hope I answered your question, Jon, and I hope you stop rubbing hot sauce in your eyes.  Have a good night and if anyone else has a topic suggestion please send it my way.













Quest to 180:
Activity Today:  I am just not feeling it today.
Diet today:  My gum is killing me, I really can't eat much.


The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Meh.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Nothing


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment