Sunday, August 19, 2012

Silicosis


Today's Medical Topic:  I think I forgot to post yesterday so I guess I will do two today.  So lets see what do we have two of?  Most people have two lungs.  Have we done silicosis?  Let's do that.

Off the Top of My Head:  Silicosis is particles accumulated in your lung like sand that leads to pneumonia and drowning in your own fluids.  I am not sure of the exact mechanics of it.  I know it is similar to black lung that coal miners used to get and I know it was very prevalent in the midwest during the dustbowl.



My Research Today:  Silica is a naturally occurring crystal in many rocks.  It is the main component of sand.  Silicosis is the buildup of fine silica particles inhaled into your lung tissue that create scar tissue and fluid accumulation.  How do you build up these particles?  Sand blasting without a respirator is a good way.  So is working in a glass factory without proper protection.

The hazy stuff is sand.  I think.
Silicosis comes in three flavors.  Simple Chronic Silicosis is the most common and results from over 20 years of silica exposure.  The sand gets jammed in your lungs and creates lymph swelling in the area  which causes chronic difficulty breathing.  I imagine it is similar to CHF or COPD.

Accelerated Silicosis comes from 5 to 15 years of heavier silica exposure.  The symptoms are the same to Simple Chronic Silicosis but occur faster.  Finally Acute Silicosis is can be caused over the course of a few days and results from massive unprotected exposure to silica dust.

I have actually seen Acute Silicosis first hand.  When I used to work in a machine shop we used something called CAB-O-SIL as a filler in fiberglass resins.  CAB-O-SIL is microscopic balloons of silica used to make resin lighter.  One of the guys I worked with ignored the warnings and dumped a bunch of it into resin and started mixing without protection.  Needless to say he inhaled a lot of it.

This stuff.
He ended up with a pretty bad dust pneumonia and permanent lung damage from the scarring.  It seemed pretty damn painful.  He started feeling the symptoms about an hour after mixing the stuff up and was in the hospital the next day.  Sucks to not follow directions I guess.

Anyways, that is good enough for tonight.  Remember, if you have a suggestion, drop me a line.









Quest to 180:
Activity Today: Meh
Diet today:  Not great.


The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Hmm
Social Engineering Tactics:  Feeling anxious.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment