Monday, August 13, 2012

Chronic Pruritis


Today's Medical Topic:  Chronic Pruritis

Off the Top of My Head:  My friend Ben wants to know what chronic pruritis is and how you treat it so I will give it a shot.  Pruritis is itching by the way.  I assume it has something to do with a continual release of histamines but I don't know.

My Research Today:  Chronic itching is defined as an unpleasant sensation with an accompanying desire to scratch the effected area that is greater than six weeks in duration.  The most common cause of itching that is not related to an allergic response is dry skin.

She is either itchy or about to be stabbed.  I can't tell.
Itching sensations that are chronic can stem from many different diseases of dermatological, systemic, or neurological origin.  Most of the time it is difficult to diagnose and cannot be simply treated.

Why does this show up on a Google
image search for itching?
Some medication can cause itching as a side effect especially opioids like morphine.  Itching that is diffuse throughout your body can be caused by anything from physical stimuli like wool to diabetic neuropathy which is a central nervous system dysfunction.  Itching in specific locations is usually dermatological in origin and should be investigated by a dermatologist.  It is also possible that there could be something in your skin like fiberglass strands that are not visible.

I'm sorry, Ben, that probably wasn't helpful at all, but I tried.









Quest to 180:
Activity Today: Kyaking 2 miles, yay!
Diet today:  Thumbs up!


The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Better.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Secret hair tactics.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment