Friday, August 3, 2012

PAPP-A


Today's Medical Topic:  Reader Cathy wants to know what PAPP-A is or Pregnancy-Associated Plasma Protein A.  I'll take a stab at it but I can't promise anything.

Off the Top of My Head:  I know exactly dick about this. I have never even heard of it before. Preliminary research makes it look like a realtively complicated subject. It is a new test and it's actual impact on estimating defects seem poorly understood currently but do have some interesting statistical correlations.

My Research Today:  Pregnancy-Associated Plasma Protein A is a blood serum test level performed at multiple times during a pregnancy.  Like a quantitative HCG level, PAPP-A levels should gradually rise during the course of the pregnancy.

The overall history of the PAPP-A testing is difficult for me to find but it appears it has only been available for the last 20 years and was not commonly tested in mothers under 35 years old until 2007 when it was recommended for general screening by the American College of Obstetricians.

That is the protein structure.
The protein is produced by the covering of the newly fertilized egg.  Low levels of PAPP-A are associated with an increase in different kinds of trisomy or Down's Syndrome.  The testing is approximately 80% predictive of Down's syndrome depending on levels of the protein and in conjunction with other standard serum screening tests.  Serum testing in general has a 5 to 8% false positive result and a 35 to 40% false negative result.

The average normals of these blood tests is called the "population median" and are typically reported to doctors as "Multiples of the Median" or MoM for short.  The average normal value is 1.0 which is a total calculated by a software program.  These values are also compared to ultrasound study markers for Down's Syndrome.

This is a PAPP-A compared to other proteins.  I don't know what it means
either. It is probably why you need a computer.
All serum and ultrasound testing for Down's syndrome is predictive and not diagnostic.  As Down's Syndrome is a form of trisomy or chromosomal abnormality, actual chromosomal testing must be completed on the fetus for a diagnosis.  Amniocentesis chromosomal testing on fetal cells will definitively diagnose Down's Syndrome.

I am afraid I cannot explore this topic much further this evening as the rest of it seems to currently be beyond the realm of my understanding.  Have a good night.  Sorry the subject wasn't overly humorous tonight.













Quest to 180:
Activity Today:  Was out-of-town most of the day.  I need to do more cardio.
Diet today:  I had my gum partially resected a couple days ago and I am having trouble eating stuff.  It sucks.

Comments: Will try to get into the pool and burn some calories that way.  Also do some upper body and core exercises.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Meh.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Mind reading.
Comments:  I can read your mind!  Not really.

Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.


No comments:

Post a Comment