Thursday, August 16, 2012

Voluntary Rapid Eye Movement


Today's Medical Topic:  I promised you two today so we are doing something about eyes!  Voluntary Rapid Eye Movement.

Off the Top of My Head:  A lot of people know about the Rapid Eye Movement (REM) stage of sleep in which our eyes "twitch" involuntarily.  Did you know that some people can initiate this movement consciously on demand?  I didn't.

My Research Today:  The technical term for this kind of rapid eye movement is called a saccade.  A saccade is defined as the abrupt, rapid, short movements of both eyes simultaneously in changing of the point of fixation.  This is usually involuntary, however there are people that can rapidly twitch their eyes voluntarily.

Get it?  Rapid eye movement?
That's the joke.
The movement is further classified as a version gaze shifting eye movement.  A version eye movement is is an eye movement in which both eyes move in the same direction.  A gaze shifting movement is exactly what it sounds like.

This movement requires the part of your brain called the frontal eye fields which is in the prefrontal cortex.  Electrical stimulation to the frontal eye fields initiate saccadic eye movements.  Your eye has six extraocular muscles that control movement.

I know what you are thinking.  How do you do this?  And I have no idea.  I asked someone that could do it what they did to make it happen voluntarily and they told me they didn't know.  They said they just sort of concentrated on it and it happened.  It looks pretty freaky.  Check out this video:



Have a good night and I will type at you later.









Quest to 180:
Activity Today: Meh
Diet today:  Not great.


The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Hmm
Social Engineering Tactics:  Feeling anxious.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment