Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Needle Drivers.


Today's Medical Topic:  Needle Drivers

Off the Top of My Head:  It sounds like something bad ass but somehow I think I will be disappointed.  I know it is a surgical tool but am not entirely sure what it is.  Since I am trying to learn how to suture and you use them to hold suture needles, I would like to know more and see what kinds of them there are.

My Research Today:  Also called a needle holder, a needle driver is a surgical instrument that are forcep-like and used to hold and pass a needle though tissue.  Like most surgical instruments they come in various sizes and shapes depending on the use and type of tissue being sewn.
That is some really thick nylon right there.
This is a basic needle driver for suturing most external lacerations and wounds.  They are pretty much forceps except some of them have a little notch in the end to better hold the needle.  These are pretty boring but I promise it will get more interesting.

It probably looks cooler than it is.
This is a fine needle driver for extremely delicate work with very tiny needles.  This model is called a "Castro Locking Driver"  It is used for eye surgery or precise plastic surgery.  They are spring loaded so the doctor can adjust tension on the needle as needed.  I will spare you the pictures of eye surgery associated with them.

Ortho guys always know how to ruin a party.
Heavy duty needle drivers are pretty damn big and used mostly for orthopedic work.  They jam gigantic needles through tough tissue like cartilage and tendons.  They are way less pointy too probably to reduce the chance of the tips breaking.  I don't know if you've ever seen ortho guys work but framing a house is more delicate than most orthopedic procedures.


Probably also used in the Spanish Inquisition.

This one is really cool but looks horrifying.  That is a laproscopic needle driver.  The a close up is of the tiny grippy part that holds the needle.  The big end stays outside of your body, at least I hope it does.  It works like those things they make for old people to get stuff off of high shelves.  This one is probably more expensive and much smaller.

There are some other very specialized needle drivers but I do not think it would further my edification of the subject to discuss them.  I hope you found this interesting.  If you'd like more articles on surgical instruments then please send me a message.









Quest to 180:
Activity Today: Nothing
Diet today:  My gum is still killing me, I really can't eat much.


The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Meh.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Nothing


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment