Friday, May 25, 2012


I had a little bit too much so today we are going to discuss alcohol intoxication.


Medical Topic of the day:
Today's Topic:  Alcohol poisoning specifically ethylene alcohol hereby known as etoh.  Methanol we shall discuss another time.


Off the top of my head:  I definitely know it is fatal.  I know that toxic levels start at 200mg/dl depending on age.  I also know that etoh poisoning causes CNS depression.  Lets see how it works.  Personally I believe that that the way a person acts drunk is their true self.

My research today:  Etoh causes all kinds of symptoms, from nausea to inhibitory behavior.  Etoh leaves the human body at a constant rate rather than an elimination half-life.  Typically 25mg/dl an hour depending on individual metabolism.  Etoh acts in the central nervous system by binding to the GABA-a receptor increasing the effects the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA.

Etoh can increase the effects of benzodiazepines on the CNS as well as other medications.  Basically etoh poisoning kills you by increasing CNS depression until your stop breathing.




Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  226
Activity Today:  In the pool for 30 minutes today
Diet today: Bad at night...so bad.

Comments: I was feeling pretty good today.  I was.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Eh?
Social Engineering Tactics:  Direct Eye Contact
Comments:  Trying to make the ladies blink first.


Random:
Listening to:  Nuthin'
Watching:  Shooter
Reading:  Whipping Star by Frank Hubert
Something fun:  Shoe Nice! - Whatchu eatin?


In a very early draft of Raiders of The Lost Ark Indiana Jones carried brass knuckles instead of a bullwhip.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mealy an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment