Sunday, May 27, 2012


Medical Topic of the day:
Today's Topic:  It's late, I'm tired we're talking about Caffeine.


Off the top of my head:  I know caffeine is a stimulant.  I know it is also a diuretic.  I do not know exactly how it works but I used to take a lot of it.  I know you can build a dependency on caffeine and I know that caffeine can cause withdrawal symptoms after extended chronic use.  I believe caffeine can be fatal with fatal doses starting at 10 grams orally.  But how does it work?

My research today:  Caffeine is designated a bitter white crystalline xanthine alkaloid.  It can be found naturally in multiple plants most notably tea and coffee.

Caffeine acts as a central nervous system.and metabolic stimulant mostly by antagonizing adenosine receptors.  Part of adenosine's role is to decrease or limit nuerotransmitter activity.  Caffeine increases neurotransmitter activity that would otherwise be suppressed.

Toxic levels of caffeine are between 150 to 200mg per kg of body mass.so for a 50kg human that would be between 93 and 125 cups of coffee assuming the coffee contains an average of 80mg of caffeine per cup.  However by the time you got to cup 20 your liver would be working over-time to eliminate the caffeine.  Probably should just consume about 7.5gm of anhydrous caffeine powder instead.

So that was fun, right?  We learned how caffeine works and how to OD on caffeine something probably even Keith Richards has never accomplished.






Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  226 - I should probably weigh myself again.
Activity Today:  I walked around Beaufort today.  That has to count for something.  I logged 13,000 steps.
Diet today: Pretty good except I had shrimp and grits for lunch which was tasty but high in calories.

Comments: Feeling pretty good today.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Medium
Social Engineering Tactics:  Interior decorating
Comments:  Chicks apparently dig clean bathrooms with big mirrors and no hidden cameras in them.  Who knew?!?!?


Random:
Listening to:  NPR.  Don't judge.
Watching:  American Restoration
Reading:  Whipping Star by Frank Hebert
Something fun:  Harvey Cards!  Just follow the instructions next time you need an idea.



Think you're a stud?  The race horse Mr. Prospector was the worlds most expensive stud horse raking in over 90 million dollars a year in progeny fees.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mealy an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment