Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Grapefruit Drug Interactions



Today's Topic:
  Specifically what makes grapefruit interact with some medications.

Off the top of my head:  I know this is a thing because I have seen it before.  I believe it has something to do with an enzyme in the fruit that also exists in many other fruits, however, grapefruit for whatever reason seems to have an unusually high level of this stuff.

My research today: So grapefruit reduces the bioavialability of certain medications secondary to an organic compound called furanocoumarin derivatives which interfere with certain hepatic and intestinal enzymes and are responsible for this interaction.  That sounds really complicated but is really simplified from the actuality.

Grapefruit is not the only fruit abundant with this furanocoumarin compound.  The fruit pomelo, which was crossed with the orange to create the grapefruit is also abundant in this compound.  This compound blocks several enzymes in the wall of your small intestine that destroys many medications therefor preventing the absorption of those drugs.

This bizarre interaction was discovered by accident when a researcher studying the drug felodipine's (a hypertension medication) interaction with alcohol mixed grapefruit juice with alcohol to mask the taste.  Furanocoumarin may cause un or mal-absorption of many drugs including statins, antihistamines, benzos, and immunosuppressants.  The biovailability of these medications can be reduced for up to 24 hours with only one glass of grapefruit juice.

Anyways cool beans.  I know no one is interested in this and more in my review of 50 shades, so.  Read on.
















Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  227
Activity Today:  Resting my foot.  Tried a cast shoe today.  That did not go so well.
Diet today:  Salads and yogurt!  Trying to get excited here.

Comments: Will try to get into the pool and burn some calories that way.  Also do some upper body and core exercises.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Meh.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Mind reading.
Comments:  I can read your mind!  Not really.


What I think of the first Fifty Shades of Grey book:
I read the first chapter.  I am going to try to stay positive here but it is difficult for me to connect with a book whose first paragraph is mostly about adjusting your ponytail.  I did realize that the title is a pun which is disappointing but somehow expected.

Okay staying positive...  The book so far is umm...cute?  It sort of feels like the diary of a 14 year-old girl right now but if that is what the author was going for then it is exquisite writing and deserving of a Pulitzer. People have told me that the book will eventually be both "shocking" and "erotic" however it seems like it will be more PG than that.

As a historical reference, it appears that this Grey character has designed his office lobby and personnel in the same manner that Hitler and Stalin did.  High ceilings, ridiculous long entrances, and luxurious, yet spartan accommodations that are designed specifically to humble those entering.

It is possible that the black and white furnishings described are an attempt by the author to to communicate how this Grey character wants to be perceived in contrast to the actuality of his person which is "many shades of grey."  Get it?  Oh, holy crap, I think this might be painful for me to read!  I think it might make me wanna nail my wiener to a tree!  We'll see!


The lion used in the original MGM logo killed its trainer and two other people the day after the footage for the logo was filmed.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment