Sunday, June 3, 2012


Medical Topic of the day:
Today's Topic:  Today's topic comes from my good friend Buddy who asks: "What is carbon monoxide poisoning and how can I use it to disappear someone?"  Well, Buddy, I don't know what you mean by "disappear" but lets find out about carbon monoxide poisoning.


Off the top of my head:  I think carbon monoxide kills you by suffocation, replacing oxygen in your lungs with gas your cells cannot utilize for energy.  I am pretty sure it is odorless and colorless.  Carbon monoxide in homes or other enclosed spaces can be deadly and is commonly given off by old furnaces and the like.  I know it can cause hallucinations and is responsible for many ghost sightings in old homes.

My research today:  Carbon monoxide (hereby known as CO) is a odorless colorless gas produced by burning stuff containing carbon which is pretty much everything including humans.  It is called "the silent killer" and is the number one cause of accidental poisoning in America claiming 500 deaths and over 15,000 ER visits.annually.

Most commonly CO poisoning is from improperly ventilated or poorly maintained appliances, gasoline engines operating in enclosed places and burning charcoal or wood indoors. CO gas can gradually build up and poison you over a rather long period of time depending on concentrations of the gas.

How does it kill you?  Well red blood cells absorb CO faster than oxygen thereby blocking oxygen from getting to your body.  I am sure it has something to do with CO having fewer electrons in it's outer shell than O2 does but we aren't here to discuss chemistry.

Symptoms are much like suffocation with dizziness, headache, skin becoming pinker, nausea, and dyspnea.  Confusion and hallucinations can occur.  Treatment includes breathing pure oxygen or sometimes hyperbaric oxygen therapy to super saturate oxygen depleted body tissue.

Well, maybe not that pink.
How can you prevent dying from CO poisoning?  Well you should have carbon monoxide detectors near the places you sleep in your home.  Motor homes and boats should also have them installed.  They should be tested yearly and have their batteries changed.  Do not ignore and reset the alarm.  If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off everyone should leave the area to a well ventilated place outdoors and call 911.

Don't start your car with the garage door closed and don't burn shit inside your house without proper ventilation and maintenance of your chimney.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
So, there you are, Buddy, I hope I answered all of your questions about CO poisoning.  Don't forget, if you'd like your question to be featured on my blog than drop me a line.
















Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  227
Activity Today:  Maybe I will force myself to do that EA trainer thing again.
Diet today:  Not too bad.

Comments: That EA Active Trainer makes my legs hurt so bad.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Better
Social Engineering Tactics:  Confidence
Comments:  Still looking for a wingman


Random:
Listening to:  Nothing today.
Watching:  New Tricks again. I'm a glutton for punishment.
Reading:  The Island of Moreau by H.G. Wells
Something fun:  Salty Watermelon Pepsi! - Only in Japan, get your pre-order in now!


Want something good next time you visit a MacDonald's in Japan?  How about a Bacon Potato Pie?
Yum!




Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mealy an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment