Saturday, June 16, 2012

Polycythemia!


Today's Topic:  Polycythemia


Off the top of my head:  Some sort of blood disorder.  I know it makes blood counts unusual.  I am not sure what the overall effects of this disorder is.  I am going to guess it is a hereditary disorder because disorders usually are.

My research today:  Polycythemia Vera is a rare disorder that causes over-production of red blood cells in your bone marrow.  It is caused by a gene mutation called JAK2V617F which is a terrible name for just about anything.  What causes this mutation is unknown.

Here JAK2V617F!  Here boy!

Polycythemia is more prevalent in men than women and extra rare in people under 40. There are many different types of polycythemia and I really don't feel like exploring all of them tonight.  I feel like that is something that you could write a thesis on.  Polycythemia may increase more than just red blood cell production including but not limited to white blood cells and platelets.  The symptoms of these abnormal levels can cause any number of symptoms.

So what can you do if you are unfortunate enough to have his disorder?  Well blood-letting is still a form of treatment for this disorder, there are a few medications like hydoxyurea which can prevent blood clots.  Having the disorder diagnosed and treated early reduces thickness of your blood and symptoms thereof.

This is where shit gets real.

If you have polycythemia you can reduce your risk factors by adjusting your lifestyle.  Don't smoke, don't drink, avoid extreme temperatures and exercise.  So basically you should be a good human.

This is a really complicated subject and I feel like it is too complicated to explore in one post.  If anyone desires I will attempt to examine this subject further.  I have a grim idea of this disorder at best.  Challenge me if you will.
















Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  227
Activity Today:  None, resting my foot.
Diet today:  Meh.  Trying to limit my diet severely.

Comments: I am so mad that I can't workout.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Meh.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Confidence
Comments:  At this rate I will be working on this forever.


Random:
Listening to:  Nothing today.
Watching:  Star Trek TOS
Reading:  Secret book again....shhh!
Something fun: Voltron something!


FDR's wife Elenor Roosevelt was so convinced that the Whitehouse was haunted that she kept a vial of holy water at her nightstand.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment