Thursday, June 14, 2012

Medical Topic of The Day:  So long story short, I am sour because I did something to my foot which I think is a 2nd metatarsal head sprain of my right foot.  I am hoping that is what it is, if I broke my foot I am going to rage so hard.

Call me Mr. Lemonhead

Off the Top of My Head:  I know approximately dick about this.  I know sprains resolve with rest, ice, compression, and elevation so I am trying that.  There is no swelling, no erythema, no evidence of anything abnormal except it hurts like hell with load bearing flexion but only dorsally.

My Research Today:  So a sprain is defined as one or more ligaments being overstretched which may also effect surrounding tendons and muscles.  Since I have no dislocation or deformity to my foot it is most likely that I do indeed have a sprain.  Also the fact that there is no reproducible plantar tenderness is apparently a good sign.  I was correct about the RICE treatment and weight bearing is as tolerated.  Me walking through three f'ing airports today probably didn't help.

This sumbitch right here.

Offloading with good support is another treatment option. You can also treat a metatarsal head sprain with a splint like a tongue depressor taped across the plantar aspect of your distal metatarsals to redistribute the weight off of the injured area.

Unfortunately since I have had pain in the same area in the past it is likely I have been working up to this injury.  It appears until I develop proper form in barefoot running I will need to resort to tennis shoes from now on.  So sour.









Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  227
Activity Today:  Managed to gimp my ass almost 10K steps today.
Diet today:  Nachos, mang.  That's all I'm sayin'.
Comments: Today was so painful.


The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Better
Social Engineering Tactics:  Confidence
Comments:  New mantra - but it's a secret....shh! Still working on it.


Random:
Listening to:  Nothing today
Watching:  Nothing Today
Reading:  Dragon in The Sea by Frank Hubert.  I finished The Gadfly which turned out to be an amazing but terribly sad story.  I almost got tattooed with an emo tear afterwards.
Something fun:  BLACK BLACK!  - It's actually pretty awesome.


Dropsy is an old school medical term for soft tissue swelling or edema and was typically the term for congestive heart failure before that was a thing.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious! This sumabitch right here...hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete