Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mastoiditis


Today's Topic:  Mastioditis

Off the top of my head:  Something to do with an infection in your jaw I think.  I know it can be really bad and lead to brain abscesses.  Let's find out.

My research today:  I was so close.  The mastoid is located just behind your outer ear.  It is part of your skull posterior to your ear.

Usually caused by middle ear infections (otitis externa) and is more common in children.  Due to the honeycomb-like nature of the mastoid bone, traditional oral antibiotics may not reach deep enough into the bone tissue to treat it effectively.  Quickly treated ear infections make mastoiditis relatively rare these days.  Before antibiotics mastoiditis was a leading cause of death in children.

Mastoiditis has some clinical findings like swelling of the ear and such but is typically diagnosed with a CT of your head.  Treatment includes antibiotic therapy both oral and IV and may include surgery.  Surgical procedures to treat mastoiditis are horrifying at best and include removal of part of the mastoid bone or draining pus out of your middle ear though your eardrum; a process called myringotomy.

This is called a subperiosteal abscess and it is gross as hell.

Mastoiditis is curable but people who have it once have a stronger likelihood for it to return.  Chronic mastoiditis is usually associated with a specific type of chronic middle ear infection called chronic suppurative otitis media and is also associated with something called cholesteatoma.  Cholesteatomas are benign combinations of different types of skin tissue that can alter the normal function of surrounding skin and bone tissue creating a destructive cyclical process.

Well I am finished with this topic for tonight.  Mastoiditis seems more like something cool to add in a differential diagnosis and less like something you would see.  Although I imagine you could run into it a couple times in a medical career.  More if your were in ENT.
















Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  227
Activity Today:  None, resting my foot.
Diet today:  Meh.  Trying to limit my diet severely.

Comments: I find my clothes are very ill-fitting these day but I don;t want to buy new clothes until I am finished losing weight.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Meh.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Confidence
Comments:  Keep on keepin on.


Random:
Listening to:  Nothing today.
Watching:  The Avengers
Reading:  Secret book again....shhh!
Something fun: Watch famous voice actors read the screenplay of Star Wars as characters from famous cartoons.  So awesome.  Props to my man Jon for the hookup.


Princess Diana had her navel pierced and fitted with a 2.8 carat diamond just a few hours before her death.  Alcohol was probably involved.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment