Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mastitis AKA Bewb Infections.

Medical Topic of the Day:  Mastitis which is an infection of the bewb or bewbs (technical terms).

Off the Top of My Head:  I do not know a ton about this.  I have seen it before and it can be really gross just like any infection can.  I think it is more common in nursing mothers and also in women or men with nipple piercings.  Let's explore this subject.

My Research Today:  So you have to have milk ducts to contract mastitis, so I was wrong about the piercings.  Mastitis is usually caused by Staph which typically lives on most people's skin and is introduced through a break in the skin typically on the nipple.  The infection spreads through the milk ducts into the fatty tissue of the breast.  Mastitis is most common in breastfeeding mothers and an infection of the breast otherwise should be carefully monitored as it could be a sign of a rare form of breast cancer.

Symptoms of mastitis include breast swelling and tenderness with erythema.  Lumps or masses that are most likely abscess.  Fever and flu-like symptoms might follow.  There can be purulent discharge from the nipple which is super gross.  You can also get something called "milk stasis" which is breast milk that leaks into surrounding tissue and causes pain and swelling until it is reabsorbed.

Insert pic of gross bewbs here.  (Aren't you glad I can't post pics right now?)

Once you have mastitis you are more likely to get it again.  Treatment is typically with antibiotics.  Abscess if they occur are surgically drained as needed.  In order prevent mastitis you should talk to a "lactation consultant" which is apparently a thing.  I am probably wrong assuming that lactation consultant is the best job ever and I am probably not able to do it as a guy anyways.  However, if anyone wants my opinion and isn't shy, feel free to show me your bewbs.

Well that is all for today, have a good night and remember to alternate breasts when feeding your baby and not be one of those gross people that breast feed until their kids are like 6 years  old.

Quest to 180:  Can't weigh myself where I'm at.  Assuming holding at 227.
Diet was again too much booze and also fired goodness which is bad.  But I did put in 2K steps today going on a brewery tour.

The MAN:  Confidence level higher today.  I am starting to feel more adept with social interaction.  I will try to discern why this is so with some self-analysis in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment