Monday, June 18, 2012

Meniere’s Disease


Today's Topic:  Meniere's Disease

Off the top of my head:  I have no earthly idea.

My research today:  Minere's Disease is a chronic inner ear disorder that effects balance, can cause a roaring sound in your ear called tinitus and also may cause pain.  Typically it effects only one ear.  The etiology of the disease is uncertain but medical scientists think it might have something to do with fluids mixing and and shifting in your ear.

Minere's Disease is more common in people in their 40's and 50's and usually contributes to hearing loss in those individuals.  The kind of dizziness that Minere's Disease causes is called vertigo and is a room spinning sensation.  These episodes of vertigo may be unpredictable and can occur suddenly.

There is no known cure for Minere's Disease although many medications may be beneficial to those who suffer from the disorder.  A water pill or diuretic may be prescribed as well as medications like Antivert to counteract the vertigo symptoms.  There is some sort of new treatment with something called a Meniett Device.  I have no idea what this is but it is used at home and applies pressure with a pulse generator through a tube to the middle ear to improve fluid exchange.  It sounds fancy.  The thing costs like five grand.

A Meniett Device, the blue end goes in your ear.  I think.

There are also a few surgical options, some of which seem horrifying.  You can have your vestibular nerve severed on one side and also have a labyrinthectomy which is the removal of a portion or all of your inner ear which destroys any balance or hearing remaining on that side of your head.

A labyrinthectomy.  Looks like they dman near rip your ear off.
Well, that is enough for tonight.  I hope you enjoyed my fumbling through the medical world.  Feel free to hit me up with any suggestions for topics or requests.
















Quest to 180:
Current Weight:  227
Activity Today:  Resting my foot.  A little better today, able to put in 9K steps.
Diet today:  Meh.  Trying to limit my diet severely.

Comments: I am so mad that I can't workout.

The MAN:
Confidence Level:  Meh.
Social Engineering Tactics:  Confidence
Comments:  At this rate I will be working on this forever.


Random:
Listening to:  Nothing today.
Watching:  NCIS - I dunno why.
Reading:  Secret book again....shhh!
Something fun: 28-port USB hub?  Yes please!


The lion used in the original MGM logo killed its trainer and two other people the day after the footage for the logo was filmed.


Questions or comments can be submitted to dudaday@gmail.com

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care provider, any information presented in this blog should not be considered advice it is mearly an outlet to slake my curiosity.  You should always consult your primary medical provider for any concerns or illness.  Unlike Tylenol, I am not approved by the FDA or American Medical Association to treat or provide relief for any ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment