Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pheochromocytoma

Medical Topic of the Day:  Pheochromocytoma

Off the Top of My Head:  Absolutely nothing.  I have never even heard this term.  Midge suggested it so it must be good.

My Research Today:  This is a rare tumor of the adrenal gland and as you know, adrenal glands release lots of hormones.  This tumor makes your adrenal gland produce tones of extra epinephrine and norepinephrine which can cause all kinds of problems.  Because a Pheochromocytoma is rare a malignant of cancerous Pheochromocytoma is exceedingly rare.  For the sake of this subject we will only explore typically rare Pheochromocytomas.

So these tumors can cause pretty much any symptom imaginable.  Excessive hormones always be trippin and you know how it is.  Everything from neuro deficits to tachycardia may occur.

Treatment?  They cut that bitch out.  BOO-YAH!  That's how you do it, son!  At least with Pheochromocytomas.  As an aside let me give all aspiring and current medical students some free advice.  Surgeons love to be cuttin' and if they ain't cuttin' they .est for right of weither think that there is too high of liability or that the patient ain't payin'.  Real talk, son, I don't f around.  Many surgeons be bitches.  Never be a bitch and always do what you think is right.  And every night you pray for the wisdom to know the difference.

Well that sort of turned from medical research into medical philosophy but sometimes I got to get stuff off my chest.  It's always better to be real than right or wrong.  Real explores the truth, the quest for right or wrong obscures it.  Be real, swallow your pride, and get it  done. A broken man taught me that once.

Quest to 180:  Nowhere to weigh myself yet.  Ran 2 miles today on the treadmill like a boss. 

The MAN:  Confidence today is pretty good.  I need to go to the YMCA more often.  Way hotter chicks than Gold's Gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment